Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB's daily housekeeping

2002-02-21 22:46:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB's daily housekeeping
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:46:09 -0500 (EST)
Fabbro, Andrew P writes:
> About once a day, our master decides it's time to clean up its images
> database, compress old images, etc.  This is a good thing, except it
> takes a long time and no backups can be started while this goes on.
> NetBackup will not tell you that's what it's doing (you have to Holmes
> around in the log files, or look for bpdbm/compress processes taking up
> a lot of CPU, etc.).  We've got about a 60GB NetBackup database (i.e.,

Check the All Log Entries, or bperror -U -hoursago 24 | grep clean

> /usr/openv/netbackup/db is about 60GB), so housekeeping can take a
> couple hours.  It really sucks when NetBackup decides to do its
> housekeeping at, oh, 6pm just as our nightly backups are getting
> underway...
>
> So, other than changing our index or compression levels, is there a way
> to speed/tune the housekeeping?

Do it in the background...

> Is there any way to ask NetBackup nicely, "please stop your housekeeping
> and proceed with backups and you can get back to your housekeeping
> later"?

Probably.  I'd be leary of doing this myself (you've got to do the
work sooner or later, if you put it off it just going to grow on
you).

> Or a way to schedule it?  It seems to fire off whenever it damn well
> pleases...;)

Does it happen suspiciously around the time a session completes and/or
the database is backed up (it should).

> It would be nice if there was a way to link it to disk space...I'm not
> so concerned when I've got 20GB free, but if my volume was at 95% full,
> then I might want to run housekeeping to compress old images.  I know
> I'm fantasyzing here...

You might be able to figure something out if you really wanted to.
Just make sure to leave yourself enough breathing room (compression
takes extra space during compression, etc).

--
Larry Kingery
    My software never has bugs.  It just develops random features.