Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB's daily housekeeping

2002-02-21 22:07:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB's daily housekeeping
From: Fabbro.Andrew AT cnf DOT com (Fabbro, Andrew P)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:07:45 -0800

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1BB4E.19579D20

About once a day, our master decides it's time to clean up its images
database, compress old images, etc.  This is a good thing, except it takes a
long time and no backups can be started while this goes on.  NetBackup will
not tell you that's what it's doing (you have to Holmes around in the log
files, or look for bpdbm/compress processes taking up a lot of CPU, etc.).
We've got about a 60GB NetBackup database (i.e., /usr/openv/netbackup/db is
about 60GB), so housekeeping can take a couple hours.  It really sucks when
NetBackup decides to do its housekeeping at, oh, 6pm just as our nightly
backups are getting underway...

So, other than changing our index or compression levels, is there a way to
speed/tune the housekeeping?

Is there any way to ask NetBackup nicely, "please stop your housekeeping and
proceed with backups and you can get back to your housekeeping later"?

Or a way to schedule it?  It seems to fire off whenever it damn well
pleases...;)

It would be nice if there was a way to link it to disk space...I'm not so
concerned when I've got 20GB free, but if my volume was at 95% full, then I
might want to run housekeeping to compress old images.  I know I'm
fantasyzing here...

--
Drew Fabbro
fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1BB4E.19579D20

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>NB's daily housekeeping</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>About once a day, our master decides it's time to =
clean up its images database, compress old images, etc.&nbsp; This is a =
good thing, except it takes a long time and no backups can be started =
while this goes on.&nbsp; NetBackup will not tell you that's what it's =
doing (you have to Holmes around in the log files, or look for =
bpdbm/compress processes taking up a lot of CPU, etc.).&nbsp; We've got =
about a 60GB NetBackup database (i.e., /usr/openv/netbackup/db is about =
60GB), so housekeeping can take a couple hours.&nbsp; It really sucks =
when NetBackup decides to do its housekeeping at, oh, 6pm just as our =
nightly backups are getting underway...</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>So, other than changing our index or compression =
levels, is there a way to speed/tune the housekeeping?&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Is there any way to ask NetBackup nicely, =
&quot;please stop your housekeeping and proceed with backups and you =
can get back to your housekeeping later&quot;?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Or a way to schedule it?&nbsp; It seems to fire off =
whenever it damn well pleases...;)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It would be nice if there was a way to link it to =
disk space...I'm not so concerned when I've got 20GB free, but if my =
volume was at 95% full, then I might want to run housekeeping to =
compress old images.&nbsp; I know I'm fantasyzing here...</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>--</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Drew Fabbro </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>503-450-3374 (desk)&nbsp; 503-701-0369 (cell)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;Everyone's a superhero.&nbsp; Everyone's a =
Captain Kirk.&quot;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Nina Hagen</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C1BB4E.19579D20--