Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DR Musings

2002-02-13 08:44:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DR Musings
From: Paul.Sobey AT aleagroup DOT com (Paul Sobey)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:44:17 +0000
Dear all,

We currently backup our servers using a full dump on weekends, incrementals
during the week. Full dumps are duplicated and sent offsite weekly. I'd
like to do it more frequently but I currently only have two drives, so
cloning during the week is a no-no if I want to be able to do restores!

We have a DR test coming up, during which I will need to restore several of
our servers from the duplicated tapes. I will be provided with a blank
server/LTO drive for NetBackup. Current plan is to do something like this:

   Install NetBackup on blank NT Server
   Use bpimport to read duplicated tapes into catalogue
   Install NT + apps on individual servers
   Use NetBackup to restore data

I would be very interested to hear anyone's comments on this. Is it
workable? I have around 400GB to import - how long approximately to create
the catalogue entries? How long to write the actual data back given server
grade kit/NT4/100MB ethernet? Would it be quicker to use NetBackup to
restore the apps as well as the data?

Using NB Datacentre 3.4 on NT4.

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers,