Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Retiring Media Server

2002-02-11 13:17:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Retiring Media Server
From: Ryan.Anderson AT udlp DOT com (Ryan Anderson)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:17:18 -0600
If you are retiring a media server, the most sure-fire way to associate
the media from the old media server to the new one is to run this
command on the master for every media associated with the old media
server:

bpmedia -movedb -ev <media id> -newserver <new media server> -oldserver
<old media server>

The old media server should be online for this, as NBU will read from
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/meda/mediaDB on the media server to yank this
information from and rebuild the informaton on the new media servers
mediaDB. You can verify it worked by doing this on each media:

bpmedialist -U -ev <media id>

Look for "Server Host" to equal the new media server.

RCA

--
Ryan C. Anderson
Unix Administrator

>>> <Rajasekhar.Posa AT abbott DOT com> 02/11/02 10:43AM >>>
We have Unix master & NT Media Servers

We planning to retire a NT SAN Media Server, But we will have problems
in
restoring the data from tapes used the media server.

I know one way is to edit the bp.conf file(on unix) and registry on
NT/200
with Force_Restore_Media_Server = Fromhost  Tohost.

Is any other way we take the Media Database from Media server, and
update
other master or media server  database which will in restores.
OR Is their any specific procedures to Retire a Media Server.

Thanks for you help
Raja Posa
PPD Windows Server Team
847-937-2726