Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restoring from an "Alternate" storage unit

2002-02-07 08:57:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restoring from an "Alternate" storage unit
From: dcaddell AT intersil DOT com (Caddell, Scott)
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 08:57:51 -0500
I ran into a similar situation recently.  I found this article and it
fixed my issue.  You might give it a shot...
Symptom:

How do I restore files from a media server other than that used to
perform the backup?

Solution:

Under normal operation, restores will always be directed to the Media
Server that performed the backup.  There are times when this behavior is
not desirable.  Some examples of when to use this method:

Two (or more) servers are sharing a robot, with each host either
directly connected to some of the drives, or connected to the drives in
a SSO environment. A restore is requested while one of the servers is
either temporarily unavailable or is busy doing backups.
The backup window is very limited and any time spent performing restores
would prevent critical backups from taking place.  So, a dedicated
restore Media Server is defined that does not perform any critical
backups.
A media server has been removed from the NetBackup configuration, and is
no longer accessible.

This TechNote will describe a process that will cause restores of
backups made by one Media Server to be performed on a different Media
Server. This process will cause all restores of backups performed by
Media Server A to be performed by Media Server B instead. This method
requires administrator intervention.

Note: The media server override applies to all storage units on the
overridden media server. This means restores for any storage unit on the
"fromhost" will go to the "tohost".

The process will require modification of the bp.conf file on UNIX Media
Servers and registry edits on Windows NT Media Servers.

To override the NetBackup media server for a restore:

1)  If necessary, physically move the media and update the Media Manager
    volume database, using the Media Manager administrative utilities.

2)  Modify the NetBackup configuration on the master server:

If the Master Server is a UNIX NetBackup server, perform the following
steps:

As root user, add the following entry to the
/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file:

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = fromhost tohost

where fromhost is the media server that performed the original backup
and
tohost is the desired media host to use for the restore.

If the Master Server is a Windows NT NetBackup server, then perform
these steps instead:

Warning:  Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor can have
disastrous results on a server operating system. Great care should be
taken when making changes
to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out
by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application.

Use the RegEdit application to modify the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config

to add the value FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER and then set the newly
added value to fromhost tohost, where fromhost is the media server that
performed the original backup and tohost is the desired media host to
use
for the restore.

3)  Force the NetBackup request daemon (bprd) on the master server to
    reread it's configuration by either using the appropriate File menu
item
    on the main NetBackup administrative utility or by stopping and
restarting
    bprd.

To revert back to the original configuration for future restores, simply
delete the changes made in Step 2 above.

Scott Caddell
Intersil Corporation