Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] reporting on mulitple streams

2002-02-06 17:18:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] reporting on mulitple streams
From: pastor AT cisco DOT com (Dennis Pozzi)
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 14:18:02 -0800
Our group has been avoiding mulitple streaming due to the reporting
hassle created by it. However due to consolidations and other outside
pressures we now have a bunch of classes that are performing "multiple
stream backups". Reporting wise we are able to make the following
determinations :
1. If all backup ID's for a particular client were successful (that
would include all streams).
    We call those Successes.
2. If all backup ID's for a particular client were failures.
     We call those failures.
3. If some backups  ID's were failures and some were successes.
    We call those partials (for lack of a better word).
     We also lump in  status code 1's into this group as they also need
manual examination.
4. If there was no completed backup ID's for this client within 24
hours.
    We call that NO Status.

I need to make the Partial category more intelligent with regard to
mulitple streams. Has anyone found a programatic way to identify that a
particular backup job is part of a mulit stream set. For instance
: stream 3 or 78 streams is backup id XXXXXXX or vice versa.
Secondly has anyone determined a way to associate a given backup id
programatically with its file list. For instance Backup id XXXXXX is
/var  or Backup ID XXXXXXX is C: .

This way our reporting system can answer the question : Regardless of
how many successes or failures was at least one attempt at each stream
successful.

Dennis Pozzi
Cisco Systems