Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vault Option

2002-02-05 19:27:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vault Option
From: Michelle.Stone AT kla-tencor DOT com (Stone, Michelle)
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:27:56 -0800
We purchased it and are using it.  We are backing up about 110 UNIX clients
and about 1Tb on weekends. We have two massive LTO tape libraries that can
read or write (measured with all overhead) a total of 20Gb/min.

The product consists of several scripts. All of the associated management of
such should be planned for. Installation is done the good old fashioned way
by copying the scripts to your directories, uncompressing them, and editing
the files manually to set your variables and options.

Vaulting can not be scheduled based on an event.  For example, you can not
schedule it to start after your backups are finished.  It is set to run from
the crontab.

While vaulting is running, there can be contention for hardware and tapes if
you try to do anything else.

A duplicate of our weekend data has taken as many as 5 days to complete with
all options set for "speed". The reason is that duplication copies
individual jobs and does not just copy tapes. During this duplication,
backups are of course set to run and we have had to deal with all kinds of
contention issues. As a result we have dispensed from duplicating tapes.

Veritas consulting will set it up for you and they have a couple of
scheduling options. If you want to create anything other than daily or
weekly vaulting options, you will be writing your own scripts.

Vaulting does prepare good reports for offsite storage.  It keeps track of
expiration dates and such (on paper for your offsite storage people).

So far, (and we have had two consultants on site on two different occasions)
we have not been able to get the eject options to work.  So for right now,
after we run vaulting, we have to manually eject the tapes from the robots.

Veritas has assured us that many of the features that we are looking for are
available in the version 4.5 release.

Michelle