Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Problem Backing-up NetApp via NFS mount

2002-01-25 09:47:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Problem Backing-up NetApp via NFS mount
From: gbos AT uoguelph DOT ca (Gerrit Bos)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:47:42 -0500
Sounds like Deron hit the nail on the head for Andrew's original question.  We
have a NetApp and back it up with NB 3.2.  We have chosen to put the NetApp in
it's own class, and set the server file spec to include all the top level
directories (and not include the .snapshots in that list :-)  That seems to work
well, and has the added advantage of allowing us to stream :
NEW_STREAM
/netapp/u
NEW_STREAM
/netapp/c
NEW_STREAM
/netapp/a
/netapp/css

Drawback is of course that if you add a top-level structure, you need to monitor
that, and change the class configuration. Speed is not great, but there is no
noticable performance degradation for the clients during backup so we can
schedule
a fairly flexible window.  (We use the netapp to mount user home directories for
the campus to various hosts)
We're thinking about NDMP for the future.  I hope this helps....Gerrit