Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Top 10 Things I Hate About NetBackup

2002-01-23 18:43:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Top 10 Things I Hate About NetBackup
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:43:10 -0600
At 12:34 PM -0800 1/23/02, Fabbro, Andrew P wrote:
>Entertaining myself here at lunch, I present, in no particular order...

a few addenda, but by and large a fine list, Andrew!

>10. Can't set exclude lists at the master, only at the client.  Very silly.

Unix-specific.  NT clients can have their exclude list centrally
administered by an NT master or a machine with the "NT Admin Console"
software configured.  But even in this scenario, you're still editing
each client's registry remotely, albeit simultaneously if you wish,
so it's far from perfect.

>7. The X-windows backup/restore GUI doesn't have a "preview media required"
>feature for a restore.  The Java backup/restore GUI doesn't show you a list
>of the backup images.  I wish there was one that did both ;)

you can get a motif-style listing of backup images in the jbpSA GUI.
There's a little graphic next to the date range selection field -
click it and switch your preference to viewing a list of images.
(sometimes the java GUI reminds me of playing Myst! :-)

>6. bpinject sucks.  I think bpinject is only packaged with bpvault.
that's true, it's part of bpvault.

>A better solution is simple:

or just use vmupdate -empty_ie if you want to add tapes from the CAP door.

>4. Frequency for hours, days, and weeks...but not months!  How can I do once
>a month?  I can do every 4 weeks, but that doesn't really work because
>there's an extra week every quarter.

yes, it would be nice to be able to do "calendar-based" scheduling.
perhaps in a future version they will introduce as an alternative
option to the current "interval-based" scheduling.

>2.  Archive doesn't make two copies, only one.  Considering that you're
>blowing the data away from disk, I'd feel better if it was written to two
>tapes, but NetBackup only does one.  I wish this was configurable.

yes, it would be nice to be able to have multiple copies of a backup images.
perhaps in a future version they will introduce the ability to
simultaneously make multiple copies of a backup image, as well as
allowing more than just 1 additional copy of said image.