Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Top 10 Things I Hate About NetBackup

2002-01-23 17:18:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Top 10 Things I Hate About NetBackup
From: limelite AT ti DOT com (Young, Ken)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:18:32 -0600
1) Regarding the exclude list, the Exclude List only applies to scheduled
backups. However if the PC client is allowed to start a user initiated
backup, the exclude list is ignored. Frankly, I would like the exclude list
to also apply to the user initiated backups IF the client has an exclude
list already.

Though I cannot find the documentation on it, the Windows pagefile is
automatically excluded since NB v3.1 (I think) so there's no need to add it
to the exclude list. Per a 4/2001 message from François-Xavier Peretmere,
you can see this in the bpbkar log if you activate it:

13/03/01 05:08:31: [1392]: DAT - Filtered FilesNotToBackup Object:
D:\pagefile.sys

2) Also since we use another antivirus product, I would also like a way to
disable the users from mucking with the Virus Protection tab within the NB
gui.

3) Since OTM is not available on Win9x, it would be extremely helpful not to
show a file that was in use as being backed up when there's no chance of
using it after a restore. This especially applies to the Outlook PST file.
If the Outlook PST is open and in use, the NetBackup GUI still shows the
file as being backed up. However, restoring the file will not allow you to
open it no matter what. Even the inbox repair will not fix it. It ends up
being a giant useless file on the tape. In the server logs, the file will
show to be in use and cannot be backed up but the GUI shows it as being
backed up. The GUI needs to reflect an open file as not being backed up on
Win9x systems.

Regards,
Ken Young
Texas Instruments Inc.