Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Percent of frozen in library?

2002-01-18 11:31:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Percent of frozen in library?
From: bhhorn AT creighton DOT edu (Brian Horn)
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:31:28 -0600
I know this can vary widely, but about what percent of frozen DLT media
do you see in your libraries?  Or some idea along the lines of: "none",
"a few", "some", "more than I would have thought".  For a long time, we
were at "a few", but recently we've jumped to "some", and appear to be
heading toward "more than I would have thought".  Along those same
lines, we are enountering more instances more often of SOME slow backups
and SOME slow duplications. Most of our backups and dupications run fin.
The slowness always seem to involve the same tapes, but they DON'T
actually error/freeze.  Just really painfully slow.  Any hints on that?
Backups and duplications are both multiplexed.  Based upon previous
posts here, we did increase the NET_BUFFER_SZ to 262144, and haven't
seen any detriment, but also haven't seen improvement of our slow
backups.
Also, we write Oracle archive log files to tape every couple of hours,
so these tapes get a lot of mounts. Would this rapidly degrade our tapes
due to tensioning, etc?

--
The wisest mind has something yet to learn.
George Santayana