Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] renaming classes

2002-01-17 22:00:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] renaming classes
From: veritas AT ratgut DOT com (Peter DrakeUnderkoffler)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:00:59 -0500
"Geibel, Jonathan" wrote:

> hello all,
>
> we are looking to rename all of our classes in order to fit a better
> naming convention..
>
> I know that once you just rename the classname netbackup will think that
> it is a new class and will do 2 things bad:
>
> a) it'll immediately kick off a new full backup
> b) you can't restore older data using the new class name (which gets quite
> confusing)
>
> my question is this:  is there a way to change the class names in a way
> that would not cause those two problems to occur?
>
> I'm guessing I could go in and hack away at the db/images stuff and could
> probably get netbackup to be convinced that nothing really changed, but I
> figured I'd ask this group first to see if someone has a better idea..
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jon

Why not deactivate all the class that you want to rename
"bpclinfo OLDCLASSNAME -modify -inactive"

Then copy the OLDCLASSNAME to NEWCLASSNAME...
"blclassnew NEWCLASSNAME -sameas OLDCLASSNAME"

Zero out the schedules on all the old class names and
then re-activate every class, old and new.  No reason
you can't have the old and the new around at the same time.
You can re-activate the NEWCLASSNAME classes when you are
ready with the schedule.  I think that when you perform a
bpclassnew...-sameas..  it preserves its status as active
or inactive, you could always run a test.

Now you have both old and new classes for whatever you need.

Thanks
Peter DrakeUnderkoffler