Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape FULL below capacity

2002-01-17 14:21:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape FULL below capacity
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:21:24 -0500 (EST)
On a 12 GB tape, you can fit 12GB of random data (data that won't
compress).   You got 15, which means the data you're backing up can be
compressed approximately 1.25 to 1.

The 24GB has NOTHING to do with the capacity of the tape, unless of
course you just happen to have data which compresses at 2:1.

This is marketing fluff, which in my book is about as annoying as
people who sell gas for something-point-9 cents.

You might check the device file you're using, and make sure it's the
right one, but 1.25 to 1 is not uncommon.