Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Assigned media

2002-01-14 11:37:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Assigned media
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:37:14 -0600
Once a tape is assigned, it can only be used by that media server until it has
been unassigned.  The tape will become unassigned once all images on the tape
have expired (unless it's frozen).  A tape that was unassigned can be assigned
to any media server.  It does not have to be assigned back to the same media
server.

If a tape is assigned, you can run "...netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedialist -ev
TAPE".  It will run through all media servers until it finds the one it's
assigned to and then reports on NetBackup information on the tape, including
host server (different from vmquery information).

- Scott

                    Noel Lindsay Hunt

                    <nhunt AT lehman DOT com>                   To:
Netbackup mailing list <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    Sent by:                             cc:

                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Assigned media
                    auburn.edu

                    01/14/2002 01:23 AM

As an aside concerning my previous problems with media
not being seen in tape drives, I think it might be the
result of Solaris unloading kernel drivers under load. I
read the fine print of the device configuration guide and
found a reference to this.  I have changed /etc/system
but haven't rebooted yet. There has been much less of
this problem happening in the last week, but I suspect
the above problem.

I have a more reasonable question about assigned media. I
was hoping to have all my media servers use the one tape
label format and be able to mix tapes but it seems that
this doesn't work. A tape which has had images written on
it by one machine will be rejected as `already assigned'
when used in a different media server. I can't see where
any information is kept about which server has written to
a volume, apart from the fact that the images on the
volume clearly have a server associated with them. So, is
it impossible for multiple servers to write to one tape
while the tape has unexpired images on it?