Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] pulling activity information from a log file?

2002-01-14 09:48:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] pulling activity information from a log file?
From: plb AT iotk DOT com (Peter L. Buschman)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:48:53 +0100
Dave:

It sounds like you need to discipline your operators not to delete jobs
from the job monitor.

For reporting purposes, however, it is common practice to archive job data
(such as the output of bpdbjobs -report -all_columns)
to external files anyway since the NBU jobs database is limited to a
maximum of 30 days retention on job data. Some of the
nicer implementations plug the data into a relational database.

If getting your operators to behave just isn't an option, perhaps calling
an archiving script to refresh your job archive from backup_exit_notify
(or backup_notify on a media server) would catch the data before your
operators delete it?  That way, your archive would be updated at
every job completion.  There are performance implications to running
bpdbjobs frequently if there are many jobs in the database however.

--PLB