Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 3.4.1 Bug

2002-01-11 13:15:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 3.4.1 Bug
From: Don.OShea AT emergis DOT com (O'Shea, Don)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:15:58 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C19ACC.048CD970

Netbackup Guru's,

There appears to be a major bug in Veritas's Netbackup 3.4.1 for Windows
2000. I don't know if it exists in the unix version as well but you may want
to make note of it. It seems that if you use the command bpclinfo from the
command line to set a class inactive or active, you loose certain
configuration settings of your classes. It doesn't seem to matter if you
only issue the command for one class, all classes seem to loose the
configuration settings.

We used this command at the year end to set our daily backup inactive to
perform a yearly backup. The next day we set the daily class back to active
and all the jobs failed. Further investigation revealed that we had lost our
tape pool, class type, encryption, and compression configuration settings.
Even though we only used it on our daily class, our weekly and quarterly
classes were also affected.

We have since been able to duplicate this problem in 2 other separate
environments.

Don O'Shea
NT Support
BCE Emergis Inc.
(905)707-4000 Ext. 3765
Fax: (905) 707-4329
mailto:don.oshea AT emergis DOT com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C19ACC.048CD970

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2654.89">
<TITLE>Netbackup 3.4.1 Bug</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Netbackup Guru's,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">There appears to be a major bug in =
Veritas's Netbackup 3.4.1 for Windows 2000. I don't know if it exists =
in the unix version as well but you may want to make note of it. It =
seems that if you use the command bpclinfo from the command line to set =
a class inactive or active, you loose certain configuration settings of =
your classes. It doesn't seem to matter if you only issue the command =
for one class, all classes seem to loose the configuration =
settings.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">We used this command at the year end =
to set our daily backup inactive to perform a yearly backup. The next =
day we set the daily class back to active and all the jobs failed. =
Further investigation revealed that we had lost our tape pool, class =
type, encryption, and compression configuration settings. Even though =
we only used it on our daily class, our weekly and quarterly classes =
were also affected.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">We have since been able to duplicate =
this problem in 2 other separate environments.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Don O'Shea</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">NT Support</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">BCE Emergis Inc.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">(905)707-4000 Ext. 3765</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Fax: (905) 707-4329</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial"><A =
HREF=3D"mailto:don.oshea AT emergis DOT com">mailto:don.oshea AT emergis DOT
com</A></=
FONT>
</P>
<BR>