Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] problem with NetBackup & ServPoint NAS appliance

2002-01-09 16:56:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] problem with NetBackup & ServPoint NAS appliance
From: Jeffrey_Dykzeul AT West.Raytheon DOT com (Jeffrey Dykzeul)
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 13:56:23 -0800
Comrades,

One of my colleagues here has the distinction of setting up the first
Sunfire 880 in the Los Angeles area. Of course, he has encountered
shakedown problems, one of which relates to restoring files from backup. He
asked me to post this message on his behalf.

Hardware:
       Sun 880 (Sunfire server)
       ATL L200 SuperDLT library
       Sun T3 arrays

Software:
       Solaris 8
       Veritas NetBackup DataCenter 3.4
       Veritas ServPoint 1.2 (Appliance software for NAS)

The Sun 880 serves out NFS & CIFS. NetBackup classes to backup the 880 are
"standard".

The problem symptom:

       CIFS files which are restored from backup tape lose their ACLs.

Has anybody worked with this software combination? Any ideas about what the
problem might be? NetBackup class definition issue or ServPoint issue?

Veritas technical support states that a workaround is to mount the CIFS
share on a WNT machine and backup the files through that machine
functioning as a NetBackup client. Sounds kind of loopy to me.

Jeff Dykzeul
Raytheon Electronic Systems