Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Two copies of current DB backup

2002-01-09 09:53:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Two copies of current DB backup
From: Jason.Ahrens AT telus DOT com (Jason Ahrens)
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 09:53:03 -0500
I am trying to do the following, perhaps someone can provide a few pointers
on the best way to do this (using NB DC 3.4p697 on Solaris 7).

I have separate master and media servers. Tape drives are connected to the
media server. Database (and all extra disk space) resides on master server.

I would like to do the following. Given that I would like both an onsite and
offsite copy of the database backup on tape, I could run the database backup
twice to two separate tapes. However, while a database is being backed up,
NetBackup cannot be used, so ideally I'd like to backup to one then
duplicate. As mentioned here before, you cannot duplicate a DB backup tape.

My second thought was then to dump to local disk space (on master) and  then
somehow pipe this across to the media server for write to tape. (using basic
TAR or something similar). Perhaps I can get it to work (hopefully without
NFS) but I can't be completly sure of that. This method does have a couple
of advantages though.
1) Less time where NetBackup is unusable (dumping to local files on master
server should be faster than across the network to a tape drives)
2) Have local copies of database on master server file system. On the rare
chance of some kind of corruption, don't need to pull it off tape.

Disadvantages include the need to bring it off tape again before doing a
bprecover, but the advantages outweigh this IMO.

I could go and create the whole thing from scratch. It would involve some
fancy network work to avoid using DNS and the media server where the tape
drives are attached doesn't have enough space to hold the DB images. I
thought I'd ask here first if anyone has done something similar and know how
to go about it or have any ideas or pointers.

Thanks

Jason

--
Jason Ahrens, Systems Analyst