Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Performance issues of Netapp->RH 7.1 via NFS->Wi n2k Media Server

2002-01-04 13:18:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Performance issues of Netapp->RH 7.1 via NFS->Wi n2k Media Server
From: kovar AT ciena DOT com (Kovar, David)
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:18:14 -0800
Greetings,

I posted a related message about this the other day with respect to backing
up a Veritas catalog that was mounted via NFS from a NetApp filer. I can
confirm that this results in extremely low performance. It appears that the
NetApp does not stream data from the filer via NFS at all well. I'm going to
call NetApp in a bit an see what advice they can provide on this.

We are running NDMP and see much better throughput. That's definitely a win.
Be aware that Veritas does not support all of the NDMP features and in
particular is missing the option that allows rapid recovery of files from
the middle of a dump. (The name of the feature escapes me at the moment.)
You need to walk through the entire dump to find the file and cannot use an
index to seek to the appropriate location and then start the restore. This
will not be fixed in the next release but should be fixed in the release
coming out at the end of 2002.

-David