Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backup performance comparison of NBU

2002-01-03 09:31:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backup performance comparison of NBU
From: veritas AT ratgut DOT com (Peter DrakeUnderkoffler)
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 09:31:57 -0500
sanjiv wrote:

> hi !
>   do we have a performace comparision of veritas netbackup on solaris v/s
> NT/2000. Basically what im looking at is that if a customer has both NT and
> solaris , what is the best platform for veritas netbackup master/media
> server and why??.
>   hope to get enlightened by u all :-)
>   cheers
>
> Sanjiv  Varma

This is always such an explosive question.  I used to think
that it only came down to processing power and number of PCI busses
only.  But for me, as important as the hardware config and it's
associated operating system robustness is,  I give equal
weight to the configuration of the company's support staff.  If they
are mostly a Microsoft house and have a handful of Unix systems
that run a database or something with out-sourced Unix support,
it's tough to say that it has to be Solaris because it is going to
be 10% faster.  Veritas has built a pretty good gui that is easy
to administer and use, so on one hand, my above point shouldn't
really matter.  Except that you do have to have a solid handle
on the underlying operating system during netbu system changes
or problems.  Additionally, every netbu installation is
specific, and can heavily benefit from home grown software
to automate tasks and notify you easily.  I could be wrong, but
I don't think it is an extremely easy thing to write your own
home grown Vault package on Microsoft.  Or a script that e-mails
the current media expiration dates, or possibly sends out a daily
summary
with what was backed up at what time and how much data.  I'm
sure you can get these to work with a combination of Cygwin
and or MKSToolkit, but your average Microsoft administrator
generally does not have shell programming experience.

On the hardware side, having a system with several separate PCI
busses is key.  If you have a smaller budget where you are going
to have one system be both the master and media server, then
a robust and upgradable server is quite nice with LOTs of memory.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks
Peter