Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Gigabit Ethernet on Dell 2550; Master Locks up

2001-12-18 17:56:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Gigabit Ethernet on Dell 2550; Master Locks up
From: SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com (Scott Jacobson)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:56:41 -0700
On Nortel switches there is a "disable flapping" for MDA/Gigabit ports.
We had to disable all 14 of my Master/Media servers.

Scott Jacobson
NetBackup Systems Administration
Data Retention and Storage Management
I. S. & T. Provo Operations
sjacobso AT novell DOT com
Desk Direct:   801-861-7668
Toll Free:        800-453-1267 Ext. 1-7668
Cell:                801-560-6891
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of Net services software
www.novell.com

>>> "Dufresne, Chuck" <chuck.dufresne AT stratech DOT com> 12/18/01 01:45PM

VERITAS NetBackup Users:

I recently configured an environment in Nashville, TN utilizing
VERITAS
NetBackup DataCenter 3.4.1 for Windows. We configured four Dell 2550
Servers
(1 master and 3 media servers) so that the ATL P2000 (configured with 4
IBM
Ultrium LTO tape drives) had one tape drive configured to each media
server
(direct connect via LVD SCSI). All Master/Media Servers are running
Windows
2000, service pack 1.  Everything was great until they attempted to
configure Gigabit Ethernet to the master server.

The Dell 2550 has an auto-negotiating 100/1000 Megabit Ethernet port.
When
connected to the 100BaseT switch everything works great. When connected
the new Gigabit bad things happen. They were testing with a Microsoft
Exchange server and a sniffer and determined that the Master Server
was
screaming for more data when the Exchange server simply quit talking to
it.
At this point the Master Server locked up (quit responding to the
keyboard).

I was wondering if you have ever encountered this symptom in your
experience?

I have another client up and running in a pure Gigabit environment
(environment in Nashville has Gigabit on the master, but 100BaseT on
the
client(s)).

Additionally, I had an experience with a different environment in
Nashville.
We had similar symptoms of the Master locking up. Eventually we
re-deployed
the OS on the Master from Widows 2000 to Widows NT and the problem
went
away.

Any insight you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chuck

Chuck Dufresne
Storage Management Consultant