Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpmedialist vs. vmquery

2001-12-12 10:35:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpmedialist vs. vmquery
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 07:35:06 -0800 (PST)
It's important to understand the differences between
Media Manager and NetBackup.

Media Manager tracks all of the physical media, its
condition (ie. number of mounts, dates, etc.)

Netbackup track the who, what when where and how of the
backups.  The "where" defines on what tapes to the
images live.  When NetBackup performs a job, it first
looks at its own mediaDB to see if there is a tape
already owned by it that meets the criteria of the
backup class that is now looking for a destination.  If
it finds one, then it requests it to be mounted.  If
not, it asks Media Manager for a tape.  Media Manager
will provide an 'unassigned' tape to NetBackup for the
backup product.  When NetBackup writes to that tape, it
is entered into its mediaDB.

When you run a vmquery you look at the vsnDB (volDB) on
the Media manager side of things.

When you run a bpmedialist you are querying the mediaDB
on the NetBackup Media Servers.  This would be the
tapes that the NetBackup server "knows" about or the
tapes it has written to.

When you see media not found, it simply means that that
particular Netbackup server hasn't written to it yet.

David

Quoting jeff maley <jmaley AT macromedia DOT com>:

> first, thank you to everyone who has ever responded
to one of my
> questions. those responses have helped greatly.
> an issue i am experiencing now is a mismatch between
what tapes nbu
> thinks are in our robot and what tapes media manager
thinks are there.
> for example, when i run a vmquery on our robot, it
generates a list of
> tapes. i then run some of those tape numbers through
bpmedialist to see
> what the status is, and i get a message saying the
media id could not be
> found in the nbu or mm db. since i got the tape
number initially from
> the mm db, i am confused. i  believe i have many
tapes in this
> situation. is there any hope other than manually
inventorying all the
> tapes?
>
> --
> jeff maley            | 415.832.5414
> enterprise operations | 415.218.3106
> ::macromedia::        | jmaley AT macromedia DOT com

bu

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting