Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore NetWare NDS Leaf Objects

2001-12-04 05:22:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore NetWare NDS Leaf Objects
From: miriam AT techunix.technion.ac DOT il (Miriam Ben-Haim)
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:22:54 +0200 (IST)
On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Andy Skates wrote:

>Miriam,
>
>Yes we are doing Non-Target.
>
>We are also getting the following error message:
>
>SMS: FFFEFFFF: An invalid connection handle was passed to the SMDR
>
>Do you have any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andy Skates
>Legal & General Assurance

Andy,

I am not a Novell person, and our Novell expert is abroad this week, so
I can't get his opinion. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Novell,
so I'm sorry if some of the details here are too obvious.

Did you manage to restore an NDS object in the past?

Our NDS backup is defined in a special class, type 'Netware', and
schedule type 'user-init', and it is run by the most privileged account
of the Novell tree.

Is it the same with you?

We've had SMDR problems in connection to target backups (not NDS):

sometimes SMDR on a server gets corrupted, and the way I check it is by
trying to unload it. If the unload produces an error message I know SMDR
is corrupted. The way to fix it is by typing 'smdr new' at the console.
This process is done by our Novell person, since you need to answer some
questions during this process.

TSA500, BPCD and BPSRV depend on SMDR, so they need be unloaded before
the SMDR is unloaded, and reloaded after it is fixed.

I'm not sure that this is the case with your situation. I never had this
error message, but the SMDR in the error message rang a bell.

        Miriam

 Miriam Ben-Haim                 E-mail: miriam AT technion.ac DOT il
 Unix Systems                    Phone : +972-4-8292177
 Taub Computer Center            Fax   : +972-4-8236212
 Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, ISRAEL