Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Why is bprestore (TIR) so painful?

2001-11-28 16:36:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Why is bprestore (TIR) so painful?
From: john.meyers AT wright DOT edu (John Meyers)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:36:47 -0500
 Hi all.

 Does anyone know why offhand bprestore requires a specific end time
 (down to the seconds) when performing a True Image Restore?  The
 manual page state's its to uniquely identify the image to be restored,
 but I'm not sure that I fully understand this.  Or maybe I'm trying
 to use bprestore for something it wasn't meant to do.

 Basically I would like to able to use bprestore to perform a full
 filesystem restore in a DR situation.  The scenario would go something
 like,

        - boot single-user from a recovery volume (min os + nb client)
        - startup inetd to allow nb communications
        - initialize volumes to recovered
        - mount volumes to be recovered on an alternate path
        - use bprestore to initiate the restore process

 Initially I though I could use a command such as,

        # bprestore -H -T -L /tmp/restore.log -R /tmp/restore.map \
                -C client.domain-name -S server.domain-name /

 and have it perform a TIR restore using the most recent full and
 cumulative backups.  But issuing this command without a specific end
 date that matches the last cumulative backup, the backup just exits
 saying that nothing matched the requested selection.

 The documentation suggests using the 'bplist -l' command to date and time
 down to the seconds, but this is a bit confusing to me.  Suppose I issue the
 command,

        bplist -b -l -Listseconds /

 which displays the backup times for the directory /, which according to the
 docs should be used as the anchor time (-e).  But does this imply that the
 restore operation will only restore files from that backup?  Or if the
 backup time for / is prior to the last backup time for /var or /usr, does that
 imply that the most recent files for /var and /usr would not be restored?

 Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

 Thanks,

 John

--
 John Meyers