Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Correcting Media Labels?

2001-11-22 10:13:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Correcting Media Labels?
From: fx AT Veritas DOT com (fx [François-Xavier Peretmere])
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:13:50 +0100

 It shoudln't rewrite an existing label, but instead reuse the
existing one. Exception is if you check any of the ALLOW_OVERWRITE
options - this is from memory, can't check that right now.

> 2.  To alleviate the problem, we corrected the logical
> location of tapes within media manager, and I am currently using bplabel
> from the command line to verify the tape label.  Is there a way to
> relabel tapes from the GUI?

 No, not yet.

> (NT admins don't typically like the command line like us Unix
> guys do.  ;-)
> )  Is there another way other than bplabel to verify what the
> label on a tape is?

 Just mount the tape (with robtest fe., and watch the Device Monitor,
or run vmoprcmd.

> 3.  Is there a suggested best practice to alleviate this problem from
> happening in the future?

 Use barcodes ;-)

 Amicalement, fx.

--

       fx AT Veritas DOT com     | There is a chasm
François-Xavier Peretmere | of carbon and silicon