Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape drive cleaning recommendations in an NT SSO configuration.

2001-11-20 12:21:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape drive cleaning recommendations in an NT SSO configuration.
From: Bleimeyer, Paul W." <paulb AT mayo DOT edu (Paul Bleimeyer)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:21:59 -0600
My apologies in advance if this topic has been beat to death already.

We currently have a small SSO NT based NetBackup deployment with an
L700, 4 9840 STK fiber attached drives, and 10 media servers. What is
the best way to clean the drives in the library on a regular basis?

The options I see are as follows:
* Allow the drives to call for cleaning via number of hours used and let
Veritas handle it. Not a great solution due to the fact that the SSO
option resets the drive usage each time a media server allocates a
drive.

* Allow the L700 to handle the cleaning as part of its internal
firmware. Said not to be a valid option, since it triggers tapes to be
in the drives at odd times and may confuse Veritas. True? Currently we
have this disabled.

* Set up a job to run every 20-30 hours or so and clean the drives. Kind
of hard on the tape drives if done too often.

Suggestions besides waiting for version 4.0 to ship for NT/2000?

Thanks,

Paul Bleimeyer
Research Computing Facility
Mayo Foundation, Rochester MN