Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Ensuring drives are mapped correctly in a SAN env

2001-11-19 09:02:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Ensuring drives are mapped correctly in a SAN env
From: anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com (anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:02:20 -0500
True, use of 'vmoprcmd -d ds' (I use 'ds' because you dont need the
extended infor) and robtest is the easiest way to get this info.  Might as
well let the 'avrd' process tell you which drive it is in.  In my case, I
tend to run the 'vmoprcmd' command in a loop in one window while I use
'robtest' in another.  The loop is fairly simple (Bourne/Korn shell):

        while true ; do clear; date ; vmoprcmd -d ds ; sleep 10 ; done

One other thing to keep in mind when dealing with a SAN is to make sure
you persistently bind you're targets unless you can be ABSOLUTELY sure
they will not move.  If your library is, say, a StorageTek L-700 with 9840
or LTO drivers (drives that man be native fibre  [i.e. they can attach
directly to a fibre switch without the need for a SCSI-Fibre bridge]) and
the server accesses the drives via a switch which the tape drives are
directly attached to, if you let the server assign the SCSI targets at
boot time, you could end up with drives "moving" (i.e. getting assigned
different SCSI targets) on each boot.  There is no guarantee that a drive
will get the same SCSI target on each boot and in most (if not all) cases
the server OS has configured itself [or a system admin has configured it]
to map a particular tape device (by 'tape device' I mean something like
'/dev/rmt/0') to a particular SCSI target.   If the SCSI targets get
reassigned, so do the tape drives.   Persistent binding assigns the tape
drive to the same SCSI target on each reboot so it won't move.

-- Tony Guzzi
Sr. Solutions Engineer, AssuredRestore team
Storability, Inc.