Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Ensuring drives are mapped correctly in a SAN en v.

2001-11-18 12:58:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Ensuring drives are mapped correctly in a SAN en v.
From: gyurchak AT veritas DOT com (Gregg Yurchak)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 12:58:43 -0500
/dev/rmt devices in Solaris are built in the order the targets and luns are
listed in /kernel/drv/st.conf.  So, SCSI attached, if you make the tape
drive that is first in the robot target 0, and go with the defaults in
st.conf, it will be /dev/rmt/0, which you can correspond to Drive0 or Drive1
or whatever you like to name it in NetBackup.

If you've got a SAN, use persistent binding (preferably portID binding to
WWNN or WWPN binding) to ensure your tape drives appear as they targets they
should.  If your tape drives in the SAN are behind a bridge, you can make
the bridge the proper target through binding, and then inside the bridge you
can adjust the lun number each tape will receive to still ensure you
maintain the proper order.

Thanks,
Gregg Yurchak
VERITAS Professional Services