Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup vs EMC's EDM

2001-11-16 07:17:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup vs EMC's EDM
From: GAngleys AT alcatel DOT de (Guillaume Angleys)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:17:51 +0100
Hi Paul,

Paul Robertson wrote:

> My current employer is currently using Veritas NetBackup, and we're
> fairly comfortable with it. We're mostly a Solaris shop, with a couple
> of EMC Symmetrix arrays in different locations.
>
> The EMC sales folks have been getting a lot of attention from our
> management, working hard at pushing EMC's EDM backup solution for a
> new site we're setting up. At present, we're interested in hearing
> from companies which have used both these products, and can provide
> comments based on real-life experience.
>
> Naturally, introducing a second backup solution has inherent costs,
> particularly when we're already satisfied with NetBackup. We simply
> want to make sure that we base our decision on more than just a snappy
> sales presentation.

We habe been using EDM since 1996 (at his time it was named 'epoch') in a
network
 environment (we don't use edm connect usw.). We backup unix as swell as NT
systems.
We had 2 systems with two ATL264 Juke boxes with 6xDLT 7000 each and backed up
about 240 Clients
 with a daily volume of 700 - 800 GB.
Since 2000 we are moving to Netbackup. We have now only one EDM system, whose
load is decreasing.

EDM:
Plus
- central management
- intelligent scheduling
- very good restore interface
- good reporting
- good volume management

Minus
- slow
- too complex
- proprietary format
- no distributed backup supported (I mean, mo media server support)
- we had always problems with our system, SW and HW which could not be solved ,
especialyy when the load increased
- the support pepople of our OEM where we baught the System, wrote a lot of
scripts for us,to work around the sw errors
which EMC could not solve
- our support was very good. It was NOT from EMC. Unfortunately,for some
problems, he had to call EMC: forget EMC
support!
Incompetent, inexistant ...

NBU:
Plus
- fast
- simple
- robust
- use standard tar (if you do not use multiplexing)
- catalogs in ASCII: you can use the good old grep to search

Minus
- no catalog processing -> needs a lot of diskspace for catalogs
- restore interface is either slow (java) or not specially confortable (X11).
- distributed configuration
- default reporting is not very good

With our Netbackup installation: one master, 3 media server we backup 1 TB
daily, and have in comparison with
EDM, no problems.

Keep away from EDM, you won't gain anything.

Regards,

        Guillaume Angleys

Guillaume Angleys                       GAngleys AT alcatel DOT de
Alcatel SEL AG Dept. ZIT/SI3            Tel: +49.711.821-46862
Lorenzstr. 10                           Fax: +49.711.821-42018
70435 Stuttgart, Germany
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power.
                -- Abraham Lincoln