Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] very slow backups

2001-11-14 19:39:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] very slow backups
From: jmaley AT macromedia DOT com (jeff maley)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:39:50 GMT
Most of our backups run at 1MB/s - 2MB/s, with many of them running at
<1MB/s. Our setup is an nt4 master/media server connected via 1000baseFX
to a 100baseT switched network.
Using network monitor on the backup server, i see that network usage
stays around 4MB/s while backups are running. If i copy a large file at
the same time, the network usage spikes to 13MB/s. This tells me that it
is a problem specific to nbu, not a general network problem. Our network
guy used mrtg to generate a graph of usage on the switch port and it
showed the same usage, ~4MB/s.
I checked the bptm logs and found that bptm was usually waiting for full
buffers, not the reverse. We are using the default 8x32k buffers. No
multiplexing.
The clients being backed up are a mix of mostly nt/2k boxes and some
solaris machines. This exists on both platforms.
We are running nbu 3.4.1. help?

Jeff maley