Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Using tar to restore/display NB backups

2001-11-14 16:18:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Using tar to restore/display NB backups
From: akumar AT refco DOT com (Kumar, Alok)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:18:13 -0000
We have Netbackup 3.2, master server is on WINNT and one media server is
Solaris & other WINNT.

I am trying to use tar to restore/display backups done by netbackup. I want
to do it on a local tape drive not on robot drives. We want to see that if
somehow netbackup is not working, can we restore the backups?
I did following :

1. Inserted the tape in the drive
2. mt rew /dev/rmt/0n
3. mt stat
4. mt fsf /dev/rmt/0n
5. /netbackup/bin/tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0n

Tried giving tar command repeatedly till tape reaches. But, every time it
says that it does'nt look like a tar archive.

Is there something wrong with this procedure? Please suggest what should be
done.

Thanks,

Alok Kumar