Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disable Tape Alert

2001-11-13 14:33:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disable Tape Alert
From: kkadams AT mmm DOT com (kkadams AT mmm DOT com)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:33:10 -0500
I am receiving a high volume of Status 83 messages. I have the hardware vendors
looking into the problem but I need to disable Tape Alert for the time being.

I know that without any DLT_CLN tapes defined that TapeAlert will not attempt to
clean the drive. However, I still feel that TapeAlert (or something in
Netbackup) is killing the backups.

Backup Errors shows the following entry after I get a status 83 message "Device
has indicated that cleaning is required before further operations have been
attempted".

Netbackup does not disable the tape nor does it down the drive. This is because
a status 83 is used when Netbackup does not know whether or not it is a tape or
a drive problem.

What I'd like is to tell Netbackup to ignore any cleaning flags raised by the
hardware and just attempt to write to the tape.