Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Duplication to alternate STU

2001-11-07 18:19:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Duplication to alternate STU
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 17:19:19 -0600
Yes, you can dup to an STU on a different media server than where the data was
written (your scenario #1 & #2).  The data will go over the LAN/WAN and will
be slow.

With -altreadhost option you can also dup reading from a different media
server than the one that wrote it (but do not mix -altreadhost and -mpx. they
will not work together).  For example, a large database server is a media
server and does a backup at night, but you don't want him to use any resources
when the duplication of his images is being done.  You can use -altreadhost
option and have a dedicated media server read (and write if you don't want to
go over the LAN) the images for the duplication.

I'm not familiar with Storage Migrator, so I'm not sure about #3.

- Scott

                    "Ryan Anderson"

                    <Ryan.Anderson AT udlp DOT com>             To:
<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    Sent by:                             cc:

                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Duplication to alternate STU
                    auburn.edu

                    11/07/2001 04:31 PM

Is it possible to duplicate to an alternate Media Manager storage unit? The
bpduplicate command appears to support this, but I was told by someone it
can't be done. I have three scenarios I'd like to see if this is possible:

1) With NetBackup, duplicate images from one STU to another which are both in
the same tape library (one host has robotic control + drives, the other owns
drives but has no robotic control)

2) With NetBackup, duplicate images from one media server's STU to another STU
attached to a different media server across the network.

3) With Storage Migrator, duplicate all the data on nearline storage in an
optical library STU to the NetBackup master server's TLD STU across the
network (anyone know what commands to use, if this is even possible?). Or, do
the same thing, but with the TLD STU attached to the same server with Storage
Migrator and the optical library STU.

Thanks,

Ryan

--