Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange 2000 Differential Stalls

2001-11-02 02:29:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange 2000 Differential Stalls
From: cs AT bacher DOT at (Christian Schirmeier)
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 08:29:28 +0100
Hello All!

I have had the same troubles with NBU 3.4, Exchange 2000 on Win 2k
Clustersystems.
With incremental backups we where only able to backup several times
(backup stops with error messages
in bpkar log) => fullbackups allways worked fine.
I have found out that this effect occurs because of a MS Exchange 2000
Bug (this Bug will be fixed in
SP 2 for Exchange - hope so !).

Workaround:

If you backup less than approx. 150 logs incremental per backup => there
will be no problem backing up
these files.
If there are more than 150 logs you have to use full backups to backup
your data. This is the only
workaround until SP2 get's released.

Hope this helps !

regards

Christian

> Message: 2
> From: Kyle Meyer <kmeyer AT banderacom DOT com>
> To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:48:25 -0600
> Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange 2000 Differential Stalls
>
> I have an Exchange 2000 server being backed up by a Windows 2k master
server
> (3.411), and it has worked fine for months. Today the Exchange
differential
> stopped at 1642494kB (even after repeated attempts), even though there
are
> at least 4.5GB of logs to be backed up. The bpbkar process takes up
50% of
> the cpu usage of the dual cpu box when it hits this byte count, and
will
> continue to do so for at least 30 minutes. I have not let it run
longer, as
> I have never had reason to do so. I finally get a network timeout, and
the
> job dies (I have turned the timeout up to 15 minutes, to no avail).
The
> process continues to run at 50% cpu usage, there is no disk activity,
and I
> cannot get a good backup.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Kyle Meyer
> Network Administrator
> Banderacom, Inc.
> kmeyer AT banderacom DOT com
> (512) 493-3256

Christian Schirmeier                           IT-Service / Storage
phone : +43 (1) 60 126-34                   Bacher Systems EDV GmbH
fax   : +43 (1) 60 126-555                       Wienerbergstr. 11B
mailto:cs AT bacher DOT at                            A-1101 Wien, Austria
www   : http://www.bacher.at/                                Europe