Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] multiplexed duplicates & vaulting

2001-11-01 12:00:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] multiplexed duplicates & vaulting
From: DONALDG AT tc.gc DOT ca (Donaldson, Grant)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:00:52 -0500
Hi John,

        You could do that but BpVault does already allow you to use the MPX
option when it calls the bpduplicate command; this is activated by entering
"mpxdup 1"  into your dup_param file.  I've checked over my problem logs
from a year ago when we first installed BpVault and encountered the
performance issues (painful memories!) and here is a synopsis of what I
found:

        In version 3.1 of Netbackup you could create MPX'd originals, but
the bpduplicate command only allowed you to create de-MPX'd images. This
meant that the duplication process would entail multiple tape mounts of the
original tape as the de-MPX'd copies were being created.  Version 2.3 of
NetBackup introduced the -mpx parameter to the bpduplicate command, thus
allowing you to maintain MPXing when you created duplicate tapes - no more
multiple tape mounts and therefore greatly improved performance.

        Version 1.4 of BpVault introduced the "mpxdup" parameter, thus
allowing you to take advantage of the v3.2 bpduplicate command's new -mpx
parameter to create MPX'd duplicates. This should have meant improved
performance when duplicating MPX'd tapes if you used this parameter to
maintain MPXing. However, we found that the performance was back to the
level encountered during our v3.1 days.  While investigating our performance
issue with a Veritas engineer we found that while BpVault was designed to
eliminate multiple tape mounts(using it's image and media lists), we were
encountering an average of 2 or 3 mounts per tape. It appeared to him that
the data was being de-multiplexed(even though we were using the mpxdup
parameter to maintain MPXing). It turned out that BpVault was in fact
writing out the original MPX'd images to the duplicate tape one whole image
at a time, thus losing the MPXing advantage. However, when writing to the
duplicate tape, because of the -mpx option being used with the bpduplicate
command, the data on the duplicate tape was written in MPX format(trying to
simply tar the tape would fail).

        Additional work by the BpVault group revealed that bpduplicate works
differently when an image list is used,,,,

"...since apparently the bpduplicate code handles MPXed duplication
differently based on how you call it (either specifying a list of images
like we do, or not specifying a list of images like you guys did).

Just to let you know, this[the patch] should work fine in an environment
with a single pair of tape drives per media server. If you wish to use
mutliple pairs of tape drives for duplication on a given media server, then
you would need to return to the normal way of duplication, and not use this
particular feature I have implemented for Transport Canada. We will be
talking with engineering to see if a core fix to bpduplicate can be made to
address this issue. "  Brian Blake,  Professional Services Organization,
> VERITAS Software.  Wednesday, September 27, 2000 4:33 PM

        So, if you have MPX'd originals, use only 1 drive pair and use
BpVault to handle your duplications, using the non-images based duplication
method may be the way to go for your site.

Best Regards.
Grant
Transport Canada