Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] email notifications on backups

2001-10-24 17:27:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] email notifications on backups
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:27:48 -0500
The e-mail address under the Global Attrib tab will set the address globally,
but it doesn't tell it whether to send it from the client or the server.

The setting on the Universal tab tells it where the message will be sent from,
either the client or the server.  This is also in the Registry on NT/2000
boxes SERVER_SENDS_MAIL=YES

The nbmail.cmd file is the one that is used for the e-mails and is passed the
address set on the Global Attrib tab.  NT & 2000 don't have an SMTP mail
client in the OS, so the file is ran but it doesn't do anything.  You have to
install a mail client (e.g. Blat) and then configure the nbmail.cmd file to
call that mail client with the proper syntax.  If you don't want errors such
as 150 (terminated by admin) or 1 (partially succesfful), then put logic in
the nbmail.cmd to not send mail for these.  The error code is also passed to
the script so you can use an IF statement and the variable for the error code
to easily filter this out.

Since NT/2000 doesn't have a mail client, in an NT environment the easiest
thing to do is this:
1. set address on Global Attrib
2. put mail client on master/media servers only
3. configure every server and/or client for the server to send the mail
4. configure nbmail.cmd to use proper mail syntax to be called and copy to all
master/media servers that got the client installed in step 2

- Scott

                    "Jeff Kennedy"

                    <jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com>                 To:
scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com
                    Sent by:                             cc:     "Veritas-bu
(E-mail)" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
Re: [Veritas-bu] email notifications on backups
                    auburn.edu

                    10/24/2001 01:11 PM

It's set under the global attributes under the system configuration of
the java gui.  I only have 1 server - Solaris master and only media
server.  But it only send e-mails on failed jobs like you mentioned.  I
have NT backups that always end with status 1 due to open files.
However, if it's configured under global attributes that would rule out
client configuration for mail.

~JK

scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com wrote:

> Are these four all media servers or the master?  There is a setting that
> determines if the e-mails come from each client or if they come from the
media
> server.  If you put an SMTP client on your media servers, but had the
clients
> configured to send the mail, you would only get e-mails when the media
servers
> themselves had a failed job.
>
> - Scott
>

>                     "Jeff Kennedy"
>                     <jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com>                 To:     Jeff
> Maley
<jmaley AT macromedia DOT com>