Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Request for Scheduling Advice: windows NT clients

2001-10-23 16:39:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Request for Scheduling Advice: windows NT clients
From: morms AT es DOT com (Melinda Orms)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:39:11 -0600
Hello All,

I have previously thought that a cumulative incremental backup would
catch everything that has changed since the last successful backup.
However a cumulative backup (using the archive bit) is basically just a
differential that does not clear the archive bit when complete.

Does anyone have a suggestion for achieving a schedule that would
function as follows:

full
    <-------diff incrs
    <-----------------cum incr
                                  <---------diff incrs

....etc

I fill approximately 215 dlt tapes/month with differentials alone.
Restores of small directories require several tapes.  I would like to
need only the last full , weekly, and subsequent days' tapes.

I appreciate any suggestions on how to manage this and compromises that
other departments have made to deal with this issue.

Advance thanks,
Melinda