Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup Database backups

2001-10-23 16:03:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Database backups
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:03:19 -0400 (EDT)
Sorry, that's enhanced AUTHENTICATION.  My bad.  It's vopie, which can
be used as a added level of making sure that the machine you're
talking to is really the one you think (in addition to the default
IP/DNS method).  If you don't know, you're probably not using it.

The volDB contains info about the cartridge: where is it, how many
times has it been used, etc.

The mediaDB contains info about the actual tape portion: what's on it,
when does it expire, etc.

The same (most at least) data is on the master, but is in a different
format.  I don't know of a tool to recreate a mediaDB from it.

W/o the mediaDB, I don't believe your active tapes will ever expire
(or more accurately become reusable after expiring).  I don't know of
any chance of data loss (by overwrite), I don't think it's possible,
but I'm not going to take the chance.

Which leads to my argument as to why you must back them up.  I don't
know everything that's in them now, and I don't know that even though
LET'S ASSUME it's okay to skip them today, something new won't be
introduced in a patch, new release, etc.

--
Larry Kingery
           Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware