Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Immediately Backup DB while backups are running?

2001-10-15 20:42:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Immediately Backup DB while backups are running?
From: Anthony.Soprano AT Home DOT Com (Anthony Soprano)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:42:25 -0400
When nothing is running and the Catalog automatically gets backed up, it is
in a consistent state.  If backups are running I would not count on it being
a perfect copy.  That's just my feeling, in practice it might meet your
needs.

What I would suggest is just rotating the tapes used for catalog backups.
Let one run, give the last tape used to "someone" (heh) and assign a new
tape to the catalog config.

By the way, there is a bug in the catalog config gui which drops the media
servers from the config for catalog paths (don't forget their media info!)
in some cases under 3.4 (at patch 645 I think).  I bet it may have to do
with spaces in the path name (C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\Database and
C:\Program Files\Veritas\Netbackup\Db\Media).  I would avoid putting any
Netbackup installs in to something like "c:\Program Files\Veritas\Netbackup"
instead I would use c:\Veritas.  There was a restore gui failure due to a
space in the path a while ago in 3.4.  There are a bunch of path related
notes in this tech article http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234923.htm I
think MS Logo Certification requires the current default path.

If all that someone needs is a copy of the /db/images directory (for your
purposes) it would be simpler to just back this up in a regular class, so
the person could then import the tape to another existing system without
having to do a dbrecover.

A.S.