Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up Netapp Filers

2001-10-15 14:12:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up Netapp Filers
From: Grant.Melvin AT netapp DOT com (Melvin, Grant)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:12:27 -0700
Hi Nicholas,

        A number of options are open to you:

        1. Attach drive/library to each filer to perform local backups
        2. Attach drive library to one filer and perform 3-way (filer->filer)
backups
        3. Attach filers to a Brocade switch and connect to a FC tape library
        4. Attach a NDMP/GbE tape library to your network and backup filers to
it
        5. Discuss with VERITAS about possible support for remote
(filer->server) backups

        These options should all be explained at:

http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3066.html

        Specific supported configuration for options 3 & 4 are listed at:

http://www.netapp.com/osn

        If you have filers already installed in production then you
        can get a sense of the backup (dump) performance by running
        'dumps to null':

rsh filer dump 0f null /vol/vol_name
rsh filer dump/0f null /vol/vol_name/path_name

        You can then compare with NFS/CIFS backup speeds and decide
        what way you'd prefer to go. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
        Grant

For information on NetApp's Data Protection Solutions view
http://www.netapp.com/solutions/data_protection.html.

=========== grant AT netapp DOT com  ========== Grant Melvin
===                                  === Software Development Manager
===                                  === Data Availability & Management
=== |\  |  __ ___  /\    __   __     === Network Appliance
=== | \ | |__  |  /__\  |__| |__|    === 475 East Java Drive
===                                  === California, 94089
===                                  === Tel:(408)822-6761
=========== Network Appliance ========== Fax:(408)822-4578

tml?productId=nbundmp