Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Archiving large backups

2001-10-15 13:53:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Archiving large backups
From: benr AT cuddletech DOT com (benr AT cuddletech DOT com)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:53:19 -0700 (PDT)
Hello.

I've been tasked with backing up a 1.2TB machine for the purposes of having
perminant backups to reflect on.  I've been backing up this box for long
periods of time, but only about 20% of the data, the rest is supposedly
"crap" but they are gonna clean it up and want something to go back on if
they need to for some reason.

The bulk of the data is Oracle databases.  What I'm gonna do it remove
QuickIO from the system, shut down all the databases and do a standard
backup with each mount point on the system as the data to back.

Here's my only problem.  If I remove the tapes from the system after I'm
done I'll have used 15+ tapes.  How do I re-insert all the tapes and restore
data if I need to?  If the data could fit on a single tape I'd just
duplicate the backup to a clean tape and remove it, then re-insert it later
and use the "Import Image" option for that one tape.... but on 15+?
Is anyone familiar with archiving jobs this large?

Thanx

benr.