Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] cumulative backups

2001-10-12 11:56:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] cumulative backups
From: fx AT Veritas DOT com (fx [François-Xavier Peretmere])
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 17:56:05 +0200

 Exact.
 http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q242/8/81.ASP

> Looking at the System State backup, you can see that there is
> probably more there than really needs to be.  I would like to see
> someone explain why calc.exe or notepad.exe are considered "protected".

 you can get the WFP lists with the following tool :

 http://www.themandelbrotset.com/General/ForDevelopers.asp
 "§ Windows File Protection"
 --> http://www.themandelbrotset.com/General/Downloads/wfp103.zip

> You could change the list of protected files... I believe this is configured
> somewhere in the Registry.

 No, afaik, it's not possible. Only Microsoft decides what is "protected"
and what is not. Don't have time to check if things has changed right
now.

> The other option is to exclude System_State:\ from incrementals.

 But be aware that you won't be abble do restore the machine itself,
(i mean the system/Windows part) as several critical Windows pieces
won't be in your backups.

 hth && amicalement, fx.

#include <VRTS/std_disclaimer.h>
--
     fx AT Veritas DOT com       | A crash reduces
François-Xavier Peretmere | Your expensive computer