Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Using scripts for backups with multiplexing and/or multistreaming .

2001-10-11 10:42:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Using scripts for backups with multiplexing and/or multistreaming .
From: sixbury AT celeritas DOT com (Sixbury, Dan)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:42:08 -0500
1.  If you use a file list with bpbackup, is it smart enough to try to
initiate multiple jobs, so that you can achieve multiplexing and/or
multistreaming, or will it backup the files sequentially?  This assumes that
I have configured multiplexing for the class and storage unit and/or
multistreaming for the class being called from the script.

2.  If you are using mulitplexing/multistreaming and as an example you use a
start and stop script to shutdown a database, backup the files, then start
the database; How can you assure that the jobs complete before the end
script tries to run to start the database back up?  The start script would
shut down the database and backup the data files.  The end script would
start the database back up.  The script is used so that I can assure no
newly created data files are being missed.

I have used bpbackup in scripts before where I included the -w (wait) option
so that I could assure that the backup finished before moving onto the next
line in the script.  In this scenario I want to queue multiple jobs so that
I can multiplex and multistream.  What kind of check can be done from a
script so that I can assure that the backup jobs have completed before the
end script gets run?

Thanks,
Dan