Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Magstar

2001-10-05 15:25:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Magstar
From: guys AT firstlogic DOT com (Guy Speier)
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 14:25:02 -0500
Katherine,

I have implemented the magstar in a pilot at my previous company.  One issue
that I remember most is that it was a shared device with the mainframe.
This
was their production tape unit, and they had a total of 90 virtual drives
presented to their OS.  When my physical drives were added to the magstar,
they were added as drives 91-94.  As a result, netbackup had no visibility
to them
due to a limitation of 64 drives within Veritas Netbackup.  We had to
re-config
the library to "see" our drives as 4 of the 1st 64 drives.  So obviously
more than 64 devices would
do you no good until Veritas expands their limitation.

In addition, having to add the volumes into netbackup via robtest was a
little
bit of a pain.  Of course, a script could be written quite easily for this.

Other than these, I was happy with the pilot.
Guy