Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP backups going 30 hours

2001-10-02 12:15:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups going 30 hours
From: Steve Kappel <steve.kappel AT veritas DOT com> (Steve Kappel)
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:15:29 -0500 (CDT)
Jeff Kennedy wrote:
>But the data has stoped being transferred 10 hours earlier.  I have 3
>ndmp backups that are running 24+ hours but no data has moved for over 6
>hours.  The filer is doing nothing and the ndmp session is halted
>because the backup is complete, all it's waiting for is a close message
>from NBU.
>
>I checked some stats on my NBU server and the root disk is fairly
>hammered, it's reading at 3MB/sec with nothing else going on; no other
>backups, no restores.  And this server is dedicated to backups, no other
>services.
>
>The images are all on an A5000 so it's not writing the images (btw, the
>A5000 is idle too).  The only thing I can figure is the BPFSMAP_TMP
>directory that holds an inode map for each ndmp session.  These files
>are fairly huge, 300MB's to 800MB's each.  What I'm wondering is what's
>happening at this point in the backup?  The inode maps are run at the
>beginning of the backup on the filer so what is happening after the
>backup is complete?  Is this verification of some type?

Node-based NDMP file history (that is messages containing "DIR" and
"NODE" info) must be collected until the end of the backup and
then processed to convert into the full path catalogs used by
NetBackup.  We call this the "bpfsmap phase".  It is responsible
for the temporary files in BPFSMAP_TMPDIR as well as the memory
utilization.  Both resources vary by the number of objects in
the backup.  See the NetBackup NDMP Admin Guide for information.

The NDMP session cannot be finished nor the tape released as
the converted catalog needs to be written to tape.

The upcoming 4.5 release will radically improve this.

Steve Kappel                       steve.kappel AT veritas DOT com
VERITAS Software (Engineering)     steve AT stevekappel DOT com (Personal)