Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Why should I choose Netbackup over TSM?

2001-09-28 13:54:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Why should I choose Netbackup over TSM?
From: david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:54:04 -0500
Where should I start.  A couple years back I did an exaustive comparison
between TSM (then ADSM) and Netbackup for one of my clients.   I can share
with you some of my notes, etc.

http://www.datastaff.com/comparison

It really depends on your needs and specific site requirements.  In my
client's case, NetBackup was the best choice for their environment, they
unfortunately for them went with TSM and spent a great deal of money trying
to get it to work.  In the last few months they have decided to return to
NetBackup.

I interviewed a number of customers that went with ADSM and found that they
liked it, found no fault with it, etc.  Its very important that you know
what their environment consists of, Mainframe (or legacy customers) will
tend to have better experience with the product then those who are more
client/server.

I also found one that was dead set against Veritas and went with ADSM, 6 - 9
months later after spending countless hours with IBM consultants, the
customer decided it was time to replace the solution with NetBackup. The
Veritas Consultants were there for a week and left with everything working,
including all of the Oracle DB backups.

So it depends on what your environment is and how you intend to use the
product.  I naturally would lean towards NetBackup today simply because I
think it is the most superior product on the market today (not that is
doesn't have weakness or faults, it does, oh it does), nothing else in my
opinion comes close.  Veritas has always kept an open line of communication
with their customers as well.  When customers request changes, enhancements,
etc., they are listened to, when I asked in my client's behalf when IBM
would support NDMP, the answer was basically "when enough of our larger
clients request it we will consider it".  That's a hard pill to swallow.

So why should you go with Veritas Netbackup versus IBM TSM.

1. Ease of installation and use, YOU can install and configure Netbackup out
of the box without any consulting required (single master, no fancy
configs).

2. If your NetBackup DB starts to out grow your file system, all you need to
do is auto-grow that file system (if you have that capability) or tar up
your db directory, grow it and tar it back to the newly sized file system.
With TSM, it requires a lot more work...since it is a relational DB,
(proprietary nonetheless) you have to resize the DB and the filesystem and
from what I remember it wasn't pretty.

3. NetBackup uses the traditional method of backup...Full and Incrm and
these can have varying retention levels.  By default NBU will not co-locate
data of differing retention periods on the tape media.  This is a good
thing, because you don't want to end up with 'holes' in  your tapes after
some images have expired.  With TSM paradigm, they will co-locate files on
the same media.  The claim is that it is faster to do it that way.  What you
aren't told is when it the the reclamation process, no backup jobs may run.
So if your reclamation takes longer than normal and runs into your backup
window, you might just miss a day of backups for some systems.

4. When I was doing this comparison, the only way to do RAW partition
backups was through an UNSUPPORTED utility called ADSMPIPE.  I don't know if
that has changed, or not, anything UNSUPPORTED became a red flag that the
other product supported.

That's all I can remember without refreshing my memory from my notes.   Talk
with a lot of customers and ask the environment questions, hardware
questions, etc.

I hope this was helpful.

David Chapa

David A. Chapa
NetBackup Consultant
DataStaff, Inc.
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
847 413 1144
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com