Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re-ordering NBU client list

2001-09-27 17:56:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re-ordering NBU client list
From: ravi.channavajhala AT csfb DOT com (Ravi Channavajhala)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:56:53 -0400 (EDT)
>What bothers me about (3) is the VMD5_DIGEST line which appears at the
>bottom. On 5 Oct 2000, Jeff.Holmbeck AT veritas DOT com wrote
>
>> VMD5_DIGEST is a checksum of the file.  If the checksum doesn't match
>> the contents of the file, NetBackup will assume the file is in error
>> and will attempt to "auto-correct" the values.
>
>... which confuses me. Does this mean it will auto-correct the checksum?
>Because if so, what was the point of having it in the first place? Or does
>it mean it will auto-correct the details of the clients, which I wouldn't
>have thought was possible from an MD5 digest?? Or what?

I think you are correct, the MD5 checksum is auto corrected.  The checksum
gets generated anytime any changes are done.  I dont see any harm in
reordering the clients, also this is a simple MD5_DIGEST checksum which
you can generate on your own and append it.

Example below straight out of Digest::MD5 pod2man, with some modifications
I made

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

use Digest::MD5;

my $file = shift || "/tmp/test";
open(FILE,$file) || die "Can't open '$file': $!";
binmode(FILE);

$digest=Digest::MD5->new->addfile(*FILE)->hexdigest;
$digest=~s/(\w\w)/\1 /g;

print "#VMD5_DIGEST=$digest\n";

Here's a checksum correction before and after reordering clients in a
simple test class I have

 #./md5test.pl
#VMD5_DIGEST=55 46 1e 2c 1f ae 00 ed c1 03 0c 75 b9 df eb c1

After reodering clients file

#./md5test.pl
#VMD5_DIGEST=78 01 53 4a be 00 38 b5 a7 74 86 a9 09 47 ce ae

-ravi

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP and each of its subsidiaries each reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state
them to be the views of any such entity.
Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is
indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer to
deal at any price quoted.
Any reference to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as
preliminary only and subject to our formal written confirmation.