Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re-ordering NBU client list

2001-09-27 15:17:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re-ordering NBU client list
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:17:27 -0400
Richard,

I don't know if editing the clients file is a "Generally Accepted" practice but
I can tell you I do it all the time and it's the only easy way I've discovered
to manipulate the order of the clients in the list. I have done this many times
and have had no problems because of it. You may have to stop and restart NBU. I
noticed that sometimes it may not take my change unless I do this. One easy way
to find out is after you manipulate the client file, click on the class in the
GUI and see what order the clients appear. That's how you'll know.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> "R.G.Hall" <ccsrgh AT bath.ac DOT uk> 09/27/01 02:00PM >>>
Searching the list archive hasn't given me _quite_ what I want to know ...

Solaris 8, NBU 3.4 DC

At the moment we have a very long 'tail' on our backups. I want to reorder
the client backups so that the longest-running ones start first.

Questions:-

1) Am I right in thinking that
   a) the client list in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class/<classname>/clients
      controls this;
   b) once all the jobs are queued, they are picked for running from the
      top of the list (subject to constraints like max_jobs_per_client);
   c) and therefore what I want to do actually makes sense?

2) Is there an _approved_ way of reordering the clients other than
   extremely tedious delete client / recreate client sequences?

3) Alternatively, is it safe to edit the above-named clients file?

What bothers me about (3) is the VMD5_DIGEST line which appears at the
bottom. On 5 Oct 2000, Jeff.Holmbeck AT veritas DOT com wrote

> VMD5_DIGEST is a checksum of the file.  If the checksum doesn't match
> the contents of the file, NetBackup will assume the file is in error
> and will attempt to "auto-correct" the values.

... which confuses me. Does this mean it will auto-correct the checksum?
Because if so, what was the point of having it in the first place? Or does
it mean it will auto-correct the details of the clients, which I wouldn't
have thought was possible from an MD5 digest?? Or what?

TIA,
 Richard Hall