Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN media vs "regular" media & SSO

2001-09-27 15:32:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN media vs "regular" media & SSO
From: maver3640 AT hotmail DOT com (Charlie .)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:32:14 -0400
Hello,

1. Could someone please explain the difference between a SAN media license
and a "regular" media license. My understanding is that a media server, by
default, can run backups (of itself or other clients) using a SCSI or FC
interface to the tape drive. So what does a SAN media server license give
me? Is it just saying it is "SAN compatible"?

2. If it is different, what do I have to do different in configuring a SAN
media server as opposed to a regular media server?

3. SSO gives me the option to use all any of my drives in my SAN with any of
my media servers - right? Would I still need an SSO license with a SAN media
server license?

4. If I don't use SSO, how many drives would I be able to see and
use from my media servers?

FYI - I am working with a SAN environment, with 2 libraries with 26 drives
total, HP master server, HP and NT clients. Most of the HP and NT clients
would be "SAN" media server.

Thanks
Charlie