Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re-ordering NBU client list

2001-09-27 14:00:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re-ordering NBU client list
From: ccsrgh AT bath.ac DOT uk (R.G.Hall)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:00:41 +0100 (BST)
Searching the list archive hasn't given me _quite_ what I want to know ...

Solaris 8, NBU 3.4 DC

At the moment we have a very long 'tail' on our backups. I want to reorder
the client backups so that the longest-running ones start first.

Questions:-

1) Am I right in thinking that
   a) the client list in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class/<classname>/clients
      controls this;
   b) once all the jobs are queued, they are picked for running from the
      top of the list (subject to constraints like max_jobs_per_client);
   c) and therefore what I want to do actually makes sense?

2) Is there an _approved_ way of reordering the clients other than
   extremely tedious delete client / recreate client sequences?

3) Alternatively, is it safe to edit the above-named clients file?

What bothers me about (3) is the VMD5_DIGEST line which appears at the
bottom. On 5 Oct 2000, Jeff.Holmbeck AT veritas DOT com wrote

> VMD5_DIGEST is a checksum of the file.  If the checksum doesn't match
> the contents of the file, NetBackup will assume the file is in error
> and will attempt to "auto-correct" the values.

... which confuses me. Does this mean it will auto-correct the checksum?
Because if so, what was the point of having it in the first place? Or does
it mean it will auto-correct the details of the clients, which I wouldn't
have thought was possible from an MD5 digest?? Or what?

TIA,
 Richard Hall